You don’t have to be a low-handicap golfer to enjoy Purgatory Golf Club, but you do have to love a challenge. Stretched out over 218 acres, this links-style course has something for all skill levels, and provides a glorious golf experience that will keep you coming back.
Purgatory is famous for:
- Multiple tee boxes: Choose from six tees on every hole, with each providing the right challenge for your handicap. We take great care with the design and alignment of each tee, pointing you toward the best possible shot toward the cup.
- Course length: Change the course to make it your own: Purgatory has the longest sets of tees (7,754 yards from the tips) as well as the shortest (4,562 yards from the far forwards) in Indiana.
- Bunkers: Live dangerously by hitting over and around our 130+ bunkers, each filled with white, crushed limestone. It’s almost plush. Strategic golfers can avoid most of the bunkers, but there are enough in the way of the cup to keep it fun and interesting. Our signature hole, #17 (link to #17 in tour), is an island green surrounded by two acres of bunkers. (insert image) Imagine the thrill of hitting the perfect tee shot over that sand and onto the green.
- Tall grass: Watch that slice. Most of the fairways are lined with tall, prairie grass rough. Most people say they prefer to hit out of a bunker than the tall grass.
- Risk & Reward: Which do you choose: Do you play it safe at the expense of a higher score? Or do you go for glory at the risk of hearing your ball plunk into the water or whistle into the grass? Purgatory offers the classic risk and reward dilemma. It’s all just part of the fun.
Tee it Forward
The PGA and the USGA have also championed playing from the tees that best match your skill level. Their recommendations are based on how far you hit your driver.
Driver distance, Course Yardage:
- 275 : 6,700-6,900
- 250 : 6,200-6,400
- 225 : 5,800-6,000
- 200 : 5,200-5,400
- 175 : 4,400-4,600