Purgatory Golf Club has won numerous awards throughout the years for having an outstanding golf course. Quite frequently we are asked how these awards are determined. Many believe their favorite course is ranked behind other courses they may have experienced. They believe the rankings are skewed to a raters personal opinions and not very objective. Below is the criteria that Golf Digest raters use to determine these rankings. As you will notice, there is a formula to how they evaluate the courses. We thought this may be interesting and informative. You may enjoy this formula for evaluation the next time you play.
Golf Digest Criteria – each criteria is rated using a 10 point scale
- Shot Values How well does the course pose risks and rewards and equally test length, accuracy and finesse?
- Resistance to Scoring How difficult, while still being fair, is the course for a scratch player from the back tees?
- Design Variety How varied are the golf course’s holes in differing lengths, configurations, hazard placements, green shapes and green contours?
- Memorability How well do the design features (tees, fairways, greens, hazards, vegetation and terrain) provide individuality to each hole, yet a collective continuity to the entire 18?
- Aesthetics How well do the scenic values of the course (including landscaping, vegetation, water features and backdrops) add to the pleasure of a round?
- Conditioning How firm, fast and rolling were the fairways, and how firm yet receptive were the greens on the day you played the course?
- Ambience How well does the overall feel and atmosphere of the course reflect or uphold the traditional values of the game?
The average of each category is then totaled, double-weighting the Shot Values category with the result being the courses total point value. A course needs 45 evaluations over the past eight years to be eligible for America’s 100 Greatest. The minimum ballots for 100 Greatest Public is 25, for Best in State 10.
While we enjoy the recognition and the awards, what we really find special is the enjoyment and interaction we have with our customers detailing their favorite aspects of our facility. In the upcoming weeks we will blog about our favorite holes and the most interesting characteristics of Purgatory for you to observe as you experience the course.